- mayor's office
Çırağan Palace is accepted as the last example of Ottoman Empire’s glory. Abdulaziz ascended to the throne in 1861 and the palace was constructed between the years of 1861 and 1872. The palace is actually a complex alongside of Bosphorus up to 1.5 km. There are two Feriye (secondary) palaces next to the main palace. These secondary palaces are still being used. The secondary palaces that are located in Ortaköy are used as Maritime College, Galatasaray University and Kabataş High School.
The one at Beşiktaş side is used as Public Guest House. In 1909, parliament was moved into Çırağan Palace. Two months later, a fire broke out and the palace burnt completely. Only outside scaffold of the building survived. An Honour Stage was located in its garden. In 1987, a hotel was built in Hünkar Garden. The walls that left from the fire were filled and used as ballroom, ceremony hall and restaurant of the hotel.
Designed by Sarkis Baylan, Çırağan Palace was built by taking four millions of gold as a loan and this loan was also used for the construction of railways in Anatolia and İstanbul’s water need. During its glorious times, the palace was magnificent with its maroon and green porphyry stones and ivory and nacred platings. The ceilings were full of bird and flower paintings the theatre décor artist Marlo from Italy.