- mayor's office
Yildiz, covering an area of 500,000 square meters on a location overlooking the Bosphorus between Besiktas, Ortakoy and Balmumcu is a coppice of which settlement dates back to the Byzantine period.
The environment which also attracted attention during the reigns of Sultan Murad IV (1623-1640) and Selim III (1789-1807); began to be called with this name due to a kiosk name “Yildiz” which Selim III has built for his mother Mihrişah Valide Sultan.Chalet Kiosk, which is a part of Yildiz Palace and named as “chalet” meaning “mountain hostel” in French, is one of the most outstanding structures of 19th century Ottoman architecture. The kiosk consists of three adjacent sections built at different times in a garden surrounded with high walls.
The Chalet Pavillion has the characteristics of a “state guest house” within the group of Yıldız Palace structures.The most attractive place of the building is the magnificent Ceremonial Hall, with one piece Hereke carpet which is 406 square meters and with the ceiling decorated with gilded panels. It is known that the muayede ceremonies were performed at this hall during the reign of Sultan Abdülhamit II. The Palace was renovated again during the first quarter of 2007, now resembling the authentic palace with the baroque style and soft colors.
NEWS| SEE ALL NEWS