- mayor's office
It started its education life as Robert College. Established in 1863 by academician Dr. Cyrus and businessman Mr. Christopher Rheinlander Robert. It was the first American College out of United States. Robert College bought the plot in 1862 but they got the building permit in 1869. The college started its education in 1871.
Overlooking the Bosporus from Rumelian Fortress, it extended by preserving the wide coppice forest. The first building was Hamlin Hall that is called South Campus today. The second building was Science Hall and was built in 1892. After the Nature History professor Albert Long’s death, this building (above) was named after him, he toughtclasses there between 1872 and 1901.
On the background of the photo, Anderson Hall which is now Faculty of Science and Letters was built in 1913 (right). 118-decared South Campus with all its services and staff, was started being used by Turkish government and from then on Robert College served as Boğaziçi University. With its 14 thousand students, the university has 53 thousand graduate students.